[Qgis-user] Geopackage slow on NAS if not read-only

Árni Geirsson arni at alta.is
Wed Mar 15 12:30:51 PDT 2023

Hello all QGIS and geopackage users.
I store my geopackages on a Synology RackStation NAS unit, like all other
documents that are kept on a shared drive in the office. For larger
datasets, the rendering is very slow, unless I open the properties dialog
for the file in Windows and check the read only box. After that, the
features are rendered blazingly fast. Nothing else is changed to see the
dramatic difference in the rendering speed. Luckily, I don't need to edit
many of the larger datasets, such as road networks and elevation contours
and the geopackage can be kept read only. Shapefiles are not affected.
What explains this and does anyone know how to solve the problem?
Do other users experience this?

Árni Geirsson