[Qgis-user] How to connect qfield to GPS RTK

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Apr 17 11:01:42 PDT 2024

david cebrian via QGIS-User <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> writes:

> I have read the qfield documentation but I still don't know how to
> connect my RTK to qfield in order to do a topographic survey. I am
> using android and the latest version of qfield.

QField has a settings page for positioning and you can add sources.  It
can do bluetooth, and this works well with the SparkFun Express.  I
think it can also do TCP ports.  But, the question is what device you
have and what interface options it has -- and you did not include that
information.

>   1. Someone knows how to connect to ntrip caster?

I do not believe that QField has any NTRIP support.

>   2) do I need another app on my phone in order to do so?

It really depends on which RTK device you have and how it receives RTCM3
reference data (often called "corrections" even though they are not
actualy corrections).  The SparkFun Express can join a WiFi SSID and
make its own connections.  Other devices want data injected, with the
phone/whatever doing NTRIP.  Yet other devices have radio links,
satellite or terrestrial, to get reference data.

If you have an RTK device which has bluetooth as the interface, and
which does not do NTRIP, then yes you'll probably need a second app.
But then you need to plumb the received positioning into QField, and I
think apps that do NTRIP tend to be able to set mock location (via
developer options), so that QField simply gets accurate position from
the system.  This essentially replaces the system GPS receiver with the
external.

But really you need to understand your RTK device first.

(Please keep all followups on list.)