[Qgis-user] QGIS.org new website now online

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Jul 18 06:43:38 PDT 2024

Hi Tomas

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 11:53 AM Tomas Straupis <tomasstraupis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2024-07-17, tr, 01:00 Tim Sutton rašė:
> > <...> the site is a complete overhaul and will likely require a fresh
> start translation
> > wise, if we continue with that approach.
>
>   Visual changelog, case study pages are exactly the same, a lot of
> other (larger) pages are (text-wise) almost the same.
>   Translating just ONE changelog page took ~week of work. All of that
> was thrown away. It is hard to guess the (unstated/un-communicated)
> benefit/justification of losing all of that hard work of unpaid
> volunteers. It will take a lot of time till I will want to translate
> again :-(

Just to be clear: nothing has been thrown away - your work still exists in
github and if we do come up with an approach that involves manual
translation, we will certainly recycle your work. Our intention to build
the site as english only was declared in the original call for proposals
for the web site here:
https://blog.qgis.org/2023/10/03/call-for-proposals-qgis-website-overhaul-2023-2024/
.

Marco and I will soon share our rationale why we think translation of the
web site should not be done, and if those proponents of keeping the
translations in place can provide a stronger argument to the contrary we
will certainly integrate any prior work wherever we can.

Regards

Tim

> --
> Tomas