[Qgis-user] WMS connections in QGIS3.ini

Christoph Jung jagodki.cj at gmail.com
Wed May 15 13:49:21 PDT 2024

Dear all,

We recently updated from Białowieża to Prizren (3.34.5). We are providing connections to WMS services on a central server and deliver these information via startup.py to the clients.

In previous versions we used the key connections-wms\… for setting up the configuration for the WMS connection entries. But with Prizren we noticed a problem:
If QGIS ist started and after (!) startup.py was finished successfully, our connections with the key connections-wms\… will be migrated/translated/… to the key ows\items\wms\connections\items\… The problem ist, that not all settings will be migrated to these new keys, e.g. user and password are missing, i.e. the connections will not contain any login information in the QGIS GUI. It seems that the key own\items\wms\connections\items\… is overwriting connections-wms\… I found a bug on GitHub that seems to go in the same direction:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/56713
Removed services from datasourcemanager (WMS/WFS) reappear on next startup · Issue #56713 · qgis/QGIS
github.com

Changing the keys from connections-wms\… to own\items\wms\connections\items\… via Notepad++ will solve our problem. But could anybody describe what is happening inside QGS3.ini or does anybody has a link to a website so that I could read about this topic and to understand this behaviour better?

Best regards,
Christoph