[Qgis-user] keyboard navigation in forms with multiline text fields

Tobias Schula geospatial at schula.org
Tue Sep 22 07:16:02 PDT 2026


Hello list!

I've designed an input form that contains multiline text fields for a 
longer description of a feature. The users should be able to use the 
form with the keyboard, so they can navigate with "Tab", "Shift+Tab", 
accept changes with "Enter" and decline changes with "Esc".

However, once I put a multiline text field in the form, the user is 
trapped in this field and cannot escape without using the mouse. This 
greatly interrupts the workflow, since the users are usually inputting 
hand written field notes at their desk.

I can't seem to find any documentation on the navigation in forms, nor 
have I gotten to work any combinations of "Ctrl", "Shift", "Tab" or 
"Enter". I can only close the form with "Esc", but then all input will 
be lost.

Does anyone have any idea or can someone point me to documentation? If 
there is no way to exit multiline fields, I will file a bug/feature request.


Best regards

-- 
Tobias A Schula
Forestry Expert

geospatial at schula.org

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: OpenPGP_signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 840 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/attachments/20260922/abf347b2/attachment.sig>


More information about the QGIS-User mailing list