[QGIS-ZA-user] QGIS User Group South Africa - 2nd Announcement for the 5th Meeting

Zoltan zoltans at geograph.co.za
Mon Nov 12 23:46:03 PST 2018

Hi Gavin/Immo,
Nice line-up for the meeting, sorry I can't be there.

Gavin: Please suggest running these meetings under a GISSA banner,
because that way you will get CPD points without having to apply and pay
for them through SAGC.
Get some form of endorsement from National Council, and that should be
enough.
(I don't have my 'CPD Rules' at hand, but have a quick glance through
them - and  the Geomatics Act as it stipulates who may dish out CPD
points - I think GISSA can)

With CPD points you may be able to attract municipal employees and that
would enhance your stealth marketing of QGIS & Open Source :-) :-0 :-)

Regards,
Zol

On 2018/11/13 10:18, Immo Blecher via qgis-za-user wrote:
> Google Forms
>
> Having trouble with viewing or submitting this form?
>
> Fill in using Google Forms
> <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeqaSxO1C6E8n48NQqqXZg18bRg-pw2UOlzg50ASLdDqedrhA/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link>
>

> Good Afternoon All,
>
> This is our 2nd announcement for our 5th QGIS South Africa User Group
> meeting in Cape Town and Midrand. If you can make the date for (both
> meetings) next week Friday 23 November you can still register by
> filling in the attached form or by clicking on the link above.
>
> The provisional agenda for the Cape Town meeting will be:
>
> 09:30 - 10:00 Registration
> 10:00 - 10:30 Feedback from the previous QGIS UG meetings and general
> discussions
> 10:30 - 11:00 Technical Talk 1 - Kevin Musungu: Change Detection in
> the Horticultural Region of Cape Town using LANDSAT Imagery
> 11:00 - 11:30 Coffee/Tea break
> 11:30 - 12:00 Technical Talk 2 - Immo Blecher: Using the Atlas feature
> to present groundwater quality per Western Cape primary catchment with
> feature count - a challenge
> 12:00 - 12:30 Technical Talk 3 - Dean Ollis: A few tips and tricks in
> accessing and working with freely available biodiversity data in QGIS
> 12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
> 13:30 - 14:30 - Frank Sokolic: Georeferencing and Mosaicking Aerial
> Photographs
> 14:30 - Open ending: Questions and Answers around QGIS/FOSSGIS
> (technical, how-to's, tricks, tips etc.) e.g. Dean Ollis: How to
> perform a few functions in QGIS that are easily achievable in ArcGIS
> but do not seem so easy to do in QGIS.
>
> The venue in Cape Town is:
> Dept. Rural Development and Land Reform, 19 Rhodes Avenue, Van der
> Sterr Building, Mowbray, 7705
>
> The provisional agenda for the Midrand meeting will be:
>
> 09:30 - 10:00 Registration
> 10:00 - 10:30 Feedback from the previous QGIS UG meetings and general
> discussions
> 10:30 - 11:15 Technical Talk 1 - Gavin Fleming: How QGIS was used to
> support the Cape Town Marathon and Cape Town Carnival
> 11:15 - 11:45 Coffee/Tea break
> 11:45 - 12:30 Technical Talk 2
> 12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
> 13:30 - 14:30 Technical Talk 3 - Demos of plugins and general QGIS
> functions
> 14:30 - Open ending: Questions and Answers around QGIS/FOSSGIS
> (technical, how-to's, tricks, tips etc.)
>
> The venue in Midrand is:
> Eskom Academy of Learning, Dale Rd, Komati House Building (security
> will direct you)
>
> We would also still like you to let us know if and what you would like
> to present at the (Midrand!) meetings. There are always little issues
> and tips and tricks we would love to hear about! The final agendas
> with the presentation titles will be sent out next week.
>
> Regards and See You All there!
> Immo Blecher and Gerhard Brits
>
> QGIS User Group South Africa - Meeting
> [...]

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Qatar:  +974 5083 2722     www.geograph.co.za