[QGIS-ZA-user] Curved Road Labeling Issue

Cath Souchon cath.souch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 03:03:58 PDT 2019

Hello,

I am hoping someone can assist me. I work on a game reserve and am
currently making a new map of all roads. I have captured (ground-truthed)
all roads and now am working on the aesthetics part (symbolization &
labeling). I am currently working on QGIS Version: 3.6.0 (Noosa).

I feel like I have tried everything to get the labels to follow the curves
of the roads at 1:20 000 but I am just not winning. I have watched & read
what feels like many hours of videos and tutorials online but still no
success.

In the "Labels" section of the Road layer properties window I have tried
selecting the "Curved" option under "Placement" but once selected all road
names seem to disappear. I then tried different variations of the "Allowed
positions" options but still no luck. I also tried adjusting the "Maximum
angle between curved characters" but that didn't seem to make a difference,
at higher numbers one or two letters of words appeared.

For the above explanation I had been using "Single labels". Should I rather
be trying this using "Rule-based labeling"?

Below is a screenshot of a portion of the road network I am dealing with.
The end goal is to get the map printed out (at about 1:20 000) on A0 or
larger size.

[image: image.png]

Any help on this would be hugely appreciated!

Kind regards,
Catherine