[QGIS-ZA-user] Slowing down of the release cycle of QGIS

Arthur TAUTE Arthur.Taute at smec.com
Wed Mar 20 03:23:35 PDT 2019

Agree

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
From: Immo Blecher via qgis-za-user <qgis-za-user at lists.osgeo.org>
Date: 2019/03/20 11:33 AM (GMT+02:00)
To: qgis-za-user at lists.osgeo.org
Cc: Immo Blecher <immob19 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [QGIS-ZA-user] Slowing down of the release cycle of QGIS

Hello All,

IMHO a slower release cycle from 3 to 2 will not make much of a difference to the users and I agree with the Swiss UG's points.

As QGIS user on Ubuntu I "live on the cutting edge" with automatic updates (point releases) being installed regularly and I must say I probably won't even notice any new bugs, or test new functions, as with most users we are probably not even using 10% of the features available on a regular basis. The upgrades on Windows are a bit more of a pain and I found that I would probably only upgrade once a year anyway.

For organisations it would on the other hand make sense to not upgrade too often and maybe wait for the major releases, if there are no major bug fixes/issues/new features that would require a point upgrade.

So I tend to agree with the Swiss UG to slow down and give the developers more time to release stable upgrades.

My 2c.

Immo

P.S. Watch this space for an announcement and invitation to our next UG meeting soon!

The QGIS conference in Coruna has just completed and there has been a lot of issues discussed and one of the major sticking points was the release cycle overview. The Swiss user group requested

the slowing down of the release cycle from 3 times per year to 2 times per year. They cited the following reasons:

* QGIS has reached a level of maturity where there aren't so many featured missing to justify the fast release pace in order to allow missing features to reach users quickly.

* Many organizations can't keep up with the fast pace of QGIS release, meaning the many QGIS releases are tested by fewer people who live on the "cutting edge".

* It reduces the pressure on developers, release managers, documenters, packagers and system administration to roll out QGIS in their organizations.

* The time window for testing of new releases is really short, which results in often unusable 3.x.0 releases. In reality, many organizations have to wait for two or three bugfix releases until the major release becomes usable for them.

Another issue that was discussed was the difficulty of users upgrading the point releases, especially for windows. A typical example being the LTR version where users would install 2.18.0 and maintain this until migrating to the next LTR version whilst the 2.18.x went all the way to 2.18.21

What is your take on the issues listed above?

Regards

Admire

Immo F. Blecher
Street: 36 Saffraan Ave., Die Boord, Stellenbosch, 7613, South Africa
Postal: PO Box 74, Lynedoch, 7603, South Africa
Cell: +27 83 272 6791 | Fax: +27 86 736 3302 Email: immo at blecher.co.za<mailto:immo at blecher.co.za> | immob19 at gmail.com<mailto:immob19 at gmail.com> | immob at mymtnmail.co.za<mailto:immob at mymtnmail.co.za>
Internet: http://www.blecher.co.za/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.blecher.co.za_&d=DwMCaQ&c=smhuqwfPwWSMyaibamWBQA&r=i-HHAe_D_s6l3U9xyATSOWTmAMX2qe4okWKiQbXajo8&m=RVTo9dtNBWYJnVkaGEqBSFCabjUz57BsJtgzgbzEJ5Q&s=mpM4iG16ZazJITBzWIKiB4Cv8wGvOJfYiUepiyohcbQ&e=>

Contact me: [http://images.wisestamp.com/gtalk.png]  immob19 at gmail.com<mailto:immob19 at gmail.com> [http://images.wisestamp.com/skype.png]  immoblecher

[http://images.wisestamp.com/apps/buttons/linkedinbutton_option_1.png]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.linkedin.com_pub_immo-2Dblecher_30_414_b8&d=DwMCaQ&c=smhuqwfPwWSMyaibamWBQA&r=i-HHAe_D_s6l3U9xyATSOWTmAMX2qe4okWKiQbXajo8&m=RVTo9dtNBWYJnVkaGEqBSFCabjUz57BsJtgzgbzEJ5Q&s=F-hz0weOgFbJ0AZfOK7QAxLHc12qczpTFlmh3--5HSk&e=>

[http://images.wisestamp.com/widgets/green_32.png]

Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.