[QGIS-ZA-user] User group Website

Immo Blecher immob19 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 05:57:44 PDT 2022

Hi All,

Nice to hear from you, Admire!

I agree that we need to do something about the website. Up to now Frank
Sokolic has sort of updated the site with news from the user group
meetings. But since the start of the pandemic we did not have any
meetings and the online option has almost become redundant since the
QGIS Open-Day monthly meetings/presentations.

I found the current software stack a bit cumbersome, so we could maybe
lean towards a WordPress or something website where we could set up a
blog and comments option as well. We could also have examples of QGIS
server projects and links to running QGIS server websites/maps. And also
the links to this user group list.

But in the end all depends on willingness of the SA QGIS community to
contribute something. This will be our starting point so that we can
assess what can go onto a website that will actually be used and
visited. That will be quite a bit of work and I unfortunately don't have
enough time at the moment to set it up, but can certainly contribute
once running.

So c'mon South Africans...let's go and create something wonderful and
contribute to QGIS. In the end it makes our lives easier and more efficient.

Regards

Immo

Am 12.09.22 um 11:45 schrieb Admire Nyakudya via qgis-za-user:
> Hi All
>
> Our website https://qgis.org.za/en/ has not been updated in a long
> time. A couple of things that stand out on the website are
>
> * Older logo.
> * Content has not been updated in a long time.
> * Maps that are on the landing page do not look nice.
>

> We need to update the site but need your support ( Software
> developers, graphic designers and generic users)
>
> The key things to consider about building the website.
>
> 1) Software stack to use - The current site uses (Django + Python +
> PostgreSQL). We can either continue using this stack unless the
> community has preference on another software stack.
>
> 2) Slick design - We encourage graphic designers to submit templates
> of how they envision the new website should look like so that we can
> choose the best design for the website.
>
> 3) QGIS Server - It will also be nice to have a map gallery page where
> we can showcase QGIS Server and other static content generated by QGIS.
>
> 4) The site should be easy to maintain - We will choose who will
> maintain the website and update content on the website.
>
> Other user groups around the world are contributing significantly to
> QGIS and we should also strive to have some functionality that have
> been developed or sponsored by the SA user group.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions on how to revamp the website please
> share with the list.
>

> Regards
>
> Admire

*Immo F. Blecher*
Steinsmühle 3, D-37130 Gleichen
Mobil(e): +49 1512 639 6176 | +27 83 272 6791
Tel.: +49 5508 449 0071
Email: immo at blecher.co.za | immob19 at gmail.com
Internet: https://www.blecher.co.za | https://aquabase.blecher.co.za

Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this
e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.

*IMPORTANT*: The contents of this email and any attachments are
confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you
have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies
thereof.