[RouterGeocoder] FW: [OSGeo-Discuss] Anyone interested in geocoding and routing?

Andrew Ross grof at rogers.com
Thu Nov 13 19:26:41 EST 2008

FWD for history on the new list

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Woodbridge
Sent: November 12, 2008 11:00 AM
To: OSGeo Discussions
Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Anyone interested in geocoding and routing?

Toru Mori,

Your experience with geocoders seems to be very broad and your input on
constructing a new tool will be very valuable. I have never and probably
will never work with Asian address systems because I can not read the
languages. I have written and maintained 3-4 other geocoders mostly oriented
toward US, Canada, Europe. I also have a lot of experience working with the
Oracle Spatial geocoder which handled all of US, Canada, and England and
most of Western Europe very well using a single engine.

By the way, the geocoders do not all have to fit into the same data
structures or tables (assuming SQL). I would also not assume that addresses
have to be in street ranges, in fact some places have all houses identified
by a point. TeleAtlas data has a combination of address ranges, and
exceptions to the ranges.

The framework should provide structure for the various efforts, and maybe
provide standard services that many of the plugins can use but it should not
get in the way. For example if you do not want your addresses standardized
then you would install the do_not_mess_with_my_data standardizer.

Someone mentioned in another post (that I can't find at the moment), that a
lot of the work will be pre-processing the raw data to load it, this is
true. The pre-processing is to standardize the data before it is loaded, so
when you standardize an input request, you have a better chance of matching
it. But you obviously should use the same standardizer in both cases, so
data loading design can not be done separately from the overall design of an
individual engine and the country standardization tools. Once an engine has
been designed, it is possible to write data loaders for various different
datasets that can be serviced by a given engine.

I look forward to your input, experience and lessons learned.

-Steve