[RouterGeocoder] Public Address GeoCoder Project (PAGC)

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Nov 20 13:16:10 EST 2008

Dan Putler wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> We actually selected LGPL for PAGC because it did allow for less
> restrictive use. The decision of what license to use was actually made
> back in 2003 or 2004, and the LGPL seemed right at that time. Whether
> that is the correct license moving forward may be worth thinking through
> at this point. Would an Apache or BSD license be preferred for some
> potential users/developers (particularly those interested in
> contributing back to the project in some way)?

Dan,

I would be more inclined to get involved with this if it had an Apache
or BSD license. You guys have done some interesting stuff and I have
thought about reinventing parts of your wheel to include in a rewrite of
my geocoder. I would rather invest what little time I have building
application that incorporate your geocoder and figure out how I can
contribute back to improving your code base. I guess in theory, I might
be able to work with the LGPL license, but I would feel much better
working with a BSD license. I tend to hold GPL and LGPL software at arms
length, because I don't want to cross the line that would cause license
pollution.

I'm glad to see that PAGC is joining this thread.

-Steve