[RouterGeocoder] Routing Data Schema

Daniel Kastl orkney at gmx.de
Mon Mar 30 21:40:20 EDT 2009

Hi Steve,

Still no others than pgRouting users here, but anyway ...

> I have no objections to supporting general network analysis. As you
> say our primary use case is vehicle routing. Some useful variants to
> that are things like:
>
> Chinese postman - IIRC which is useful for planning snow plow routes
This almost made it into pgRouting through some project/sponsorship.
It's for sure an interesting extension.

> Minimum Spanning tree - for Cable/Telephone/Fiber installation
> Isochrons - for drive time analysis
Which is probably just a variant of the "driving distance" function in
pgRouting. Another good idea for the SoC, also the Traveling Sales Man.

> Navteq has a complete model. It is very normalized and sometimes a
> pain to deal with. TeleAtlas also has a good model but I'm less
> familiar with that.
>
> With respect to Navteq, go to the http://www.navteq.com/ and follow
> the links to the developers section. Sign up as a developer (costs
> nothing) and you can download specs and sample data.
Steve, I already did this and even printed out most of the papers long
time ago. It's huge and takes time to get through. But so far for Anton
and me working for a Japanese company with Japanese customers Navteq
data (or TeleAtlas data) wasn't an option, because they have no data
available for Japan.

> I'm happy with either, but I think we should focus on our areas of
> strength and expertise. I would like to see us do an outreach for
> other use cases and to have experts in these discuss the direction we
> are going and what changes we need to better support them.
>
> My concern is that if we try to be all things to all people -- we will
> end up being nothing useful for anyone. We should work from our areas
> of core competence and strength.
True ... we don't need architecture astronauts.

> Which gets me back to my questions :) How does this proposal look with
> respect to:
>
> 1) vehicle routing problems? What is missing that we might need?
For the basic network information I like your schema proposal.
I don't think we can miss something very important if you took the
Navteq model here as a reference.

But then there are a view attributes which are quite road specific.
SPEED
VEHICLE_CLASS
are probably the ones.

Daniel