[SAC] Vhost standards, etc...

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Dec 15 14:12:32 EST 2006

I think that we need to remain flexible, to a certain degree :)

Part of the problem is that many existing projects are using their own infrastructure, including CMS of choice, project tracker of choice, etc.  I'd suggest the following:

- For projects wanting to use their own infrastructure, redirect a host (project.osgeo.org) to their chosen IP.
- Use osgeo.org/projects/projectname as the location for "marketing" content
- Use projectname.osgeo.org to host community-focussed content, such as documentation, Trac, etc, using our standard provided/supported toolset.  It may be useful for direct requests to / on projectname.osgeo.org be redirected to osgeo.org/projects/projectname ?

I agree that keeping multiple instances of Drupal is a maintenance nightmare, but projects will absolutely need their own Trac instances, svn repositories, etc, so we may as well have a host for each project.  It introduces less risk than trying to manage them all under one host.

In any case, let's talk about this more in January, once we're on the new infrastructure and are thinking more about ongoing information/infrastructure management than just moving what we've got.

Jason