[SAC] Vhost standards, etc...

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Fri Dec 15 17:13:47 EST 2006

On Dec 15, 2006, at 16:47, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> I agree with Jason: trying to do everything under the same vhost
> (http://osgeo.org/project1, http://osgeo.org/project2, etc.) is
> going to be too limiting and we should use project.osgeo.org vhosts
> as he suggests. This will also allow for consistency between
> projects hosted on OSGeo infrastructure and project hosted on their
> own servers, i.e. their main URL will all be http://project.osgeo.org/
>
> Also, another benefit of using vhosts this way is that the main
> website at http://osgeo.org/ will contain mostly OSGeo contents and
> a only mimnimum of project stuff, all owned and maintained by
> OSGeo, and project-specific content will always be under
> project.osgeo.org, owner and maintained by the respective projects.

I agree with this approach. This seems also to be how MIT manages its
webspace. Anything under web.mit.edu is maintained by the Information
Systems & Services people and anything under xyz.mit.edu is
maintained by xyz. Thus we actually have http://web.mit.edu/museum
for the main museum web site and http://museum.mit.edu for project
work that's not just web presence. (hmm. maybe that should be a
counterexample)

I've found that once you get a system going for maintaining vhosts,
it's pretty easy. I have several on the eogeo.org machines
(lists.eogeo.org, lists.gsdi.org, wgiss.ceos.org, etc) and it's
really not so bad. Some have their own IP addresses, others don't.
The place things get tricky is for email vhosts with mailman. It's
doable but I would suggest not trying. lists.osgeo.org should be
sufficient for all osgeo.org email.

The other benefit of vhosts from the start is that it's easier to
split them off onto separate machines as the load grows. If you use
subdirectories for projects, then you have to manage a bunch of
redirects to other machines if you move things.

Of course, this means that I'm also in favor of foss4g2007.osgeo.org
vs. foss4g2007.org to comment on a different thread.

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle
+1.781.433.2695