[SAC] Server host quotes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 8 13:16:45 EST 2006

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> What's next to get this done.  Jason - is there something I can help
> with on this or do you just need to finalise their bid?
>
> Any of the other SAC members have an opinion on the bids?
>
> I am +1 on PEER1.

Folks,

The cost of the Peer1 quote does exceed the amount indicated in the original
transition plan document, and that was the basis of the board authorization
to proceed with the hosting.   So, I'd like to encourage Jason and Bob to
bring forward a hosting proposal to the board meeting this Friday.

If we should commit to a multi-year arrangement this should also be noted.

The motion can be added to this Friday's board meeting agenda:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Twenty_First_Board_Meeting

Something along the lines of "Motion to authorize Tyler to sign a three year
hosting contract with Peer1 for up to $14000USD/year".

If you still aren't certain whether to include the firewall and tape backup
options, then request authorization for enough to cover them and then decide.
I'm personally -0 on the hardware firewall, and see a clear need for *some*
sort of backup solution but hopefully the experts will bring forward a
proposal based on my than my meagre understanding of these issues.

I'd suggest that either Tyler or Gary sign any official contract on behalf
of OSGeo for the hosting.