[SAC] Server host quotes

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 20 12:41:42 EST 2006

On 8-Nov-06, at 12:08 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> The Peer1 quote seems to be reasonable, assuming we do need two
> servers to get started. I missed a good part of discussions about
> the transition plan a few weeks ago, so I'll just assume that we do
> know that we need two servers and that someone has a clear plan for
> how they are going to be configured and used. With respect to the
> hardware firewall, my experience is that we can have very reliable
> software firewalls with iptables. However the call to have a
> hardware firewall or not should probably be made by the
> administrator who will setup and manage the servers in the long run
> and who will be responsible for keeping them up 24x7 for the years
> to come. Same for backup system I guess.

Shawn - your thoughts on this?  From talking last week, I believe you
were in favour of the firewall and some tape backup.  and that you
wanted the 2nd server for failover and load balancing.

Jason - seems we have chosen the provider?  What can I do to help
finalise this deal so Shawn has public infrastructure to work on?

Tyler