[OSGeo-Discuss] SVN for edu committee projects

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 10:45:01 EDT 2006

(cc to SAC for their archive)

On 9/21/06, Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at tkk.fi> wrote:
> This is probably a question to the SAC but I don't subscribe to its list
>
> I'd like to move forward with the Edu committees materials projects and
> initiate our book projects. We have several in mind and some existing
> projects may want to migrate to one place under OSGeo. I'm thinking
> going back to LaTeX (LyX), thus the materials would be text + perhaps
> binary images. Of course it can be project specific.
>
> What should I do? I'm familiar with CVS on unix, and used it and SVN a
> bit on windows. For this I'd like to start with windows (LyX for windows
> looks good and windows works a bit better on my laptop) but that's only
> a personal choice.

SVN isn't significantly different from CVS (just better). There are several
clients available (see at bottom of
http://www.gdf-hannover.de/media.php?id=7&lg=en).

> Is it possible to organize nightly builds so that there's a new PDF
> available for download from some place?

That should be fairly easy once we have an idea where to host the
repository. I don't think that it should be on the CollabNet infrastructure
since we cannot implement cronjobs there to make nightly PDF builds.
Telascience.org might be a (interim) solution.

Markus

> Anything else I should know/think about?
>
> Ari
>
> --
> Prof. Ari Jolma
> Geoinformaatio- ja paikannustekniikka
> Geoinformation and positioning technology
> Teknillinen Korkeakoulu / Helsinki University of Technology
> POBox 1200, 02015 TKK, Finland
> Email: ari.jolma at tkk.fi URL: http://www.tkk.fi/~jolma

Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://www.osgeo.org/