[SAC] GRASS CVS -> SVN migration hints wanted

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 10:47:13 EDT 2007

Markus,

The biggest problem I found with cvs2svn was it can't deal well with
branches that are *also* tags of the same name.  This wasn't a
problem for GDAL because there were so few branches.  It was a small
problem for MapServer, as a couple of early releases had both the
branch and the tag for the release named the same.  In that instance,
you have to choose.  What I did was force cvs2svn to create a branch
from that instead of a tag, and then I manually copied the branch to
a tag representing the release (all branches/tags in Subversions are
just copies).  The arguments in the command being used on the wiki
appear to be doing --force-branch, which IIRC was the method I used
to do this.

We did break the sponsor logos in the GDAL repo, and just re-imported
them after standing up the repository.  I don't know if identifying
and re-importing your non-kb binary files after the fact is
reasonable for the GRASS repository.

I don't understand the question about timestamps of files.  cvs2svn
should maintain the entire history for a file when it commits it to
subversion.  Is it just screwing up the very last commit?

Howard