[SAC] Hosted Backup System - cost discussion

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Dec 7 20:30:12 EST 2007

Frank wrote:

> I'm not clear on why need to backup our SVN backups,
> and our database backups if we are already backing up
> our live svn trees and mysql databases.  Is it because
> the backup technology does not necessarily capture
> a version of these that is guaranteed to be in working condition?

I'm not sure about SVN live backups (what's the technology underneath?) but I would _never_ rely on filesystem backups of live database files.  Even with backup solutions that have "agents" for the various databases, it is typically better in recovery mode to just build a working database server and then restore the data from backups.

I would feel better in any case if some backups were being sent to telascience, regardless of the solution to this problem.  Having all of our eggs in one basket really sucks :)  Imagine if PEER1 went bankrupt and we were unable to access our backups or servers.  Or, imagine that they have a catastrophic failure of the datacenter we are in.  Even if they're cross-backing, getting access to a server in their alternate datacenter may not be all that easy.

Jason