[SAC] Backups - Especially osgeo1 Mysql for Drupal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Dec 29 19:44:51 EST 2007

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> On 12-Dec-07, at 7:25 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
>> It is a bit hard to figure out what is what with regard to backups, so
>> I have
>> taken the liberty of extracting the backup portion out of the Migration
>> Documentation wiki page Shawn wrote, and setting it up as SAC:Backups:
>>
>>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SAC:Backups
>
> I added a section on that page for listing the folders to be backed up.
> Also I opened a new ticket to trac our discussion about defining the
> backup locations/folders for PEER1.
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/179

Tyler,

I've noted that on osgeo1 we should at least backup:

# /etc - 10MB
# /var/www/trac - 550MB
# /root - 3MB
# /var/lib/mailman/lists - 36MB

We really do want to backup /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/*.mbox but
I'm not sure how easy that is to specify.  We don't really want all the
htmlified archives also under /var/lib/mailman/archives as this is a great
deal of additional bulk, and scanning all these tiny files is likely to be
painful from a system load point of view.

Actually, it looks like /home/back/mailman/archives is what we want for
mailman configuration, but it does not appear to be getting updated.  All
the mbox files date from early 2007 or 2006.  I'll look into this a bit.

Howard has indicated that the svn mirroring should be sufficient for
those purposes.

I looked in /var/www/html and there is a whack of stuff I don't think we
need to backup (ie. all the fdo and mapguide docs).  On the other hand
there is likely stuff there that should be backed up.  I'm not sure how
we want to handle this.

Boy, /home/back is a mess.  I'll dig some more.