[SAC] Mailing list Administrative Passwords

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu Jan 4 13:30:02 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I think we have a bit of a problem with administration of the mailing lists
> on lists.osgeo.org.  The basic issue is that many of the mailing lists do
> not have a clear person responsible (most list several "administrators"
> and/or moderators) but there is only one admin password per list.  Some
> folks have gone in and changed the admin passwords (as was suggested during
> the migration I believe).
>
> But now, I get moderator emails for the www_international-discuss list
> (still
> not loving the name) but I don't know the admin password for the list.
>
> I would like to suggest we use a communal admin password for "shared"
> lists.
> That is lists with multiple admin/moderators.  This would be provided to
> anyone
> helping to admin lists.  But it would not preclude single-admined lists.
>
> Normally I don't like communal passwords but it seems to me that "list
> security" is not terribly important and mailman doesn't *seem* to offer an
> easy option for LDAP based administration as far as I know (does it?)
>
> If SAC is agreeable, I suggest we pick a memorable password but one not
> quite
> as obvious as the original one that was assigned and distribute it
> privately
> by email to anyone interested.  Shawn, is there a script that can be run to
> forcable apply a new admin password?
>
> If folks are agreeable, I will prepare a list of initial lists that I think
> should be handled communally.  I will give a couple days for statements of
> support or raising concerns.
>
> Best regards,

Hello,
I support this idea and suggest to change the current low security password right away. We had some legal issues with personal information being too easily available. Just share the new password for the lists currently administered by sbarnes, tylermitchell and fwarmerdam. If pressing issues have to be done the entitled list admin can request for them.

Best regards, Arnulf.

PS:
I had to change my email address (for the first time in 7 years) and could do this globally for all OSGeo mailing lists. That is cool! I will have to change each of the other 10 dozen mailing list subscriptions manually. Thats a pain. OSGeo Foundation relieves form pain.

PSS:
If this mail gets through it worked. Thanks!