[SAC] File management on osgeo.org

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 22 13:18:33 EST 2007

There is some confusion (myself included) about the 'best' way to add
new files to the web site.

During the migration files were imported using a variety of methods -
Kanhaiya can you describe how they were handled?

 From my perspective it looks like there were two approaches... one
was to create an 'empty' node but to attach a file to it.  The other
was to upload the file directly to the filesystem (e.g. via scp
command) and put the file in an accessible location (/var/www/html/
files - for example).

I think we should consider using one of Drupal's several different
file management modules that are available:
http://drupal.org/project/modules/category/62
One of these was tried on the old community.osgeo.org site for
managing conference document archive.

Does anyone have any better solutions for handling such things
(WebDav??).  What do you think?

Tyler