[SAC] Test Drupal Instance / Role of Backup Server

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 31 18:07:49 EST 2007

Shawn, etc,

Currently OSGeo has two machines hosted at Peer1.  One is the machine holding
the drupal instance, svn, trac, ldap, etc and the other, as I understand it,
is essentially a frequently updated backup of the main machine that could
be used as a backup.  Is that right?

My understanding is that some of us have been using this secondary machine
as a place to test changes to drupal, ldap, etc.  Is this appropriate?  Isn't
there a risk that the backup will be botched when we are actually need it?

If we shouldn't be using it as a development server, should I look into getting
the dev instance described below updated to match what is on www.osgeo.org so
it can be used for testing?

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/DevelopmentDrupalInstance

Kanhaiya - can you comment on what challenges there would be in duplicating
the main server as closely as possible on this dev server?