[SAC] Disk space on {download,buildbot}.osgeo.org getting low

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 20 09:02:41 EST 2007

Folks,

The telascience blade used for buildbot.osgeo.org, and download.osgeo.org
(and a few other things) is getting low:

/dev/hda1             25396228  22500748   1584580  94% /

That is, about 1.5GB space left on the 25GB disk.  A "du" under /osgeo
where most of our stuff is shows:

[frankw at xblade14-2 osgeo]$ sudo du -s *
Password:
5767100 buildbot
5973336 download
248052  gdal
1127768 mapbuilder
12      mapserver
8       scripts

I think the download space is to be expected, and will inevitably grow
over time.  But I'd like to address the buildbot space usage:

1451964 fdo/.
2284764 gdal/.
80      mapguide/.
1265148 mapserver/.
367016  proj.4/.
394328  qgis/.
3468    usr/.
40      www/.

On closer inspection, quite a bit of the space seems to be because we are
keeping buildmaster logs indefinately.  Of the 2.3GB of GDAL space, 1.6GB
of it are old logs.

So, first I'd like to suggest to Mateusz that a cronjob or something similar
be put in place to delete buildmaster logs older than say 2 weeks or so.

Second, I think it would be helpful to avoid putting more buildslaves on
buildbot.osgeo.org, and perhaps we should move some of the existing ones off.
How is work going on VMs for buildslave usage going?  What system are these
running on?  Do these system have lots of disk space?

We aren't in a crisis yet, but I'd like to see the log trimming addressed
immediately.  VMs and migrating existing slaves can proceed as time permits
but I'd appreciate a status report.