[SAC] Disk space on {download,buildbot}.osgeo.org getting low

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Nov 20 19:09:42 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> So, first I'd like to suggest to Mateusz that a cronjob or something
> similar be put in place to delete buildmaster logs older than say 2 weeks or so.

Frank,

I will work on it tonight.
For now, I cleaned all logs in all BB instances manually and
now we have 3.2G of free space.

> Second, I think it would be helpful to avoid putting more buildslaves on
> buildbot.osgeo.org, and perhaps we should move some of the existing ones
> off.

Technically, it's possible to setup BB slaves on other machines and
connect all to common master. Just point me which machine to use.

> How is work going on VMs for buildslave usage going?  What system are these
> running on?  Do these system have lots of disk space?

I agree with this idea, as we've discussed on IRC.
AFAIK, John is getting more RAM soon, then we can run more VMs.
Just for records, here is our discussion of possible configuration:

Nov 20 18:34:29 <FrankW>	BTW, perhaps we can focus on 2 virtual machines
for linux.
Nov 20 18:34:39 <mloskot>	sure
Nov 20 18:34:41 <FrankW>	One "minimally configured" in terms of
available supporting libraries and services.
Nov 20 18:35:01 <FrankW>	And one "maximally configured", including if
eventually possible stufflike postgres, oracle, mysql, etc.
Nov 20 18:35:20 <mloskot>	and both instances are accessible for all
projects?
Nov 20 18:35:30 <FrankW>	that is my thinking, yes.
Nov 20 18:35:33 <mloskot>	yes, makes sense
Nov 20 18:35:59 <mloskot>	The simplest solution is to keep 1 VM per
project, but this option will cost most regarding hardware resources
Nov 20 18:36:15 <mloskot>	So, 2 VM but usable for as many projects as
possible is best option I think
Nov 20 18:36:32 <FrankW>	Yes, I'm concerned having many VMs active would
be demanding, especially in terms of RAM.
Nov 20 18:36:39 <mloskot>	right
Nov 20 18:37:16 <FrankW>	Projects with special needs can always run
their own slaves for special cases on outside servers.