[SAC] Virtual Machines for Services

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Nov 21 05:57:43 EST 2007

Here is another suggestion (from a colleague of mine):

http://www.virtualbox.org/
"Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux and Macintosh hosts
 and supports a large number of guest operating systems including
 but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista),
 DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), and OpenBSD.
"

"VirtualBox Open Source Edition (OSE)
 The VirtualBox OSE sources are available free of charge under the
 terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License, Version 2.
"

Markus

On Nov 20, 2007 7:50 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
> Daniel Morissette wrote:
> > Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyways, before we invest to much time and energy setting up VMs for
> >> buildslaves (for instance), I'd love to see us have a discussion as
> >> a group and decide on a VM technology we are interested in committing
> >> to.
> >>

> > I've heard very good things about OpenVZ from someone using dozens of
> > VMs on a farm of servers, including some very high traffic sites:
> >
> >    http://openvz.org/
> >
> > The main advantage of OpenVZ over VMWare and many others is performance
> > since it makes better use of system resources. Unfortunately I don't
> > know much more than that about it and never had time to look at it.
>
> The disadvantage I see is:
>
> "OpenVZ is limited in that it requires both the host and
> guest OS to be Linux"
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVZ
>
> For Buildbot purposes, we need to be able to host both, Linux and Windows.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Mateusz Loskot
> http://mateusz.loskot.net