[SAC] PEER1 and Telascience server roles

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sat Oct 20 03:43:20 EDT 2007

On Sat, October 20, 2007 00:35, Martin Spott wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 02:24:07PM -0700, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>

>> It looks like up2date is already configured to find packages off the
>> hosting provider, but php5 isn't in their list of available packages.
>> I'm no pro with this tool, though, that's for sure.
>>

> I'm not either - and, to be honest, I'm not inclined to become one  :-)
>

> It would be pretty helpful if someone who's familiar with this
> distribution could at least look if it makes sense to reach out for a
> pre-packaged PHP5 on 'osgeo2'. If this proves to surface too many
> difficulties then I'd like to add a self-grown PHP5.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin.

Hi,
I think you and _wolf_ are the first in the wider SAC team who do not
immediately groan about having to deal with something PHP.

OSGeo administration has not been keen to maintain PHP a lot or think
about how to upgrade to newer versions. Updating was sort of "deferred
until required" and dependencies have not been looked into. I suggest that
you two propose what to do exactly, send it to WebCom and VisCom and if
nobody objects just go ahead. The same applies to how you do it. If you do
not like using up2date and there is nobody else who really does - then do
it the way you like it.

:-)

Regards,

--