[SAC] WebDAV for download.osgeo.org

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Mon Dec 22 12:50:17 EST 2008

Hi Howard,

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:58:39AM -0600, Howard Butler wrote:

[... WebDAV on 'download.osgeo.org' ...]
> The biggest advantage of this is removing the need for SSH access for
> most folks, as I think the biggest demand for shell access is simply
> to copy files to the machine.  If there is general support for such an
> approach, I will make it happen and document it.

Did you consider installing a chroot'ed "rssh" for most of the 'plain'
shell accounts as an alternative ? Together with WebDAV this would
probably provide best of both worlds: WebDAV for the "fancy gui"-
people as well as those behind an HTTP proxy, SFTP/SCP with WinSCP for
the "lean gui"-folks as well as the command line people ....  or simply
those who are transferring files from a remote machine and/or via batch
processing ?

Cheers,