[SAC] Re: Telascience Blade System Status

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 7 11:55:35 EST 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks (John especially!),
>
> I have not been able to login to geodata.telascience.org (198.202.74.216)
> for at least a week or two.  Does anyone have any idea what it's status is?
> It doesn't seem completely dead, but I wonder if sshd is dead or something.
>
> Also, I haven't been able to login to xblade 13-2 (198.202.74.218) since
> sometime in December.  I'm guessing it is dead but perhaps might be
> revivable
> with a reboot?
>
> I'm trying to survey where additional services can be put.  I'm especially
> keen to move buildbot slaves off download.osgeo.org which is *very*
> crowded.
> Alternatively I might consider NFS mounting another blades disk on
> download.osgeo.org to extend the disk space available.
>
> I'm not so keen on NFS mounting "outside machines" given all the problems
> caused by use of the bucket NFS disk.

Folks,

I spoke to John in IRC about this, and he reports that two of the blades
(presumably .216 and .218) have dead drives and that he is ordering new
ones (bigger).  I'm not sure exactly when these will be operating again but
at that point we should have more space.

At that point I would like to make one of these two blades the new
download.osgeo.org on the bigger driver, and leave all the other services
currently on the download.osgeo.org blade (ie. buildbot, gdal.org, grass.org)
behind on the old drive.  I'd also export the /osgeo/download directory on
the new drive to the old drive so that folks can push updates onto it
(night svn snaps and so forth).

Anyone have any issues with that?  Alternatively we could just try and
move everything over.  Moving everything over would make user synchronization
easier since I have been creating a variety of local accounts for people
on download.osgeo.org.