[SAC] Backups - Especially osgeo1 Mysql for Drupal

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Jan 3 13:03:36 EST 2008

A few important questions that I could use an opinion on sooner than
later...

I gave our list of folders to include to PEER1 but they came back
asking for which folders to _exclude_ not include.  I wish we could
just say ignore everything except /home/back.  This is somewhat how
Shawn set it up initially anyway.  Can we make this possible by
symlinking in all required folders into there?

The other point with their new system is that we have a 50GB limit,
but that includes daily incrementals with storing of *6* past
revisions of each file.  The trouble is we can't change this option,
which I expressed was a very poor value for money for us because it
ends up meaning we have way less than 50GB of real/current files able
to be backed up.  The other option is to switch to WEEKLY backups,
where they will maintain only the latest version of each file.  This
will make it much easier for us to manage and estimate our backup usage.

Should we keep daily or go for weekly?

Perhaps important daily/incrementals can be rsync'd to osgeo2 or
telascience and vice versa instead of using their service.  I'm
fairly disillusioned about the service and if we had an alternative,
I'd suggest dropping the service.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, I'm trying to iron out our backup
service with them this week.

Tyler