[SAC] Trac does not send any e-mails

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Jul 27 15:34:23 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 09:22:35PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> >Folks
> >
> >Even and I, we have observed that GDAL Trac does not send any e-mail
> >notifications about track actions, like ticket editing, etc.
> >
> >Are we experiencing any problems?
>
> OK, our postfix is back to life.
> I'm not sure what was the problem, but Chris Schmidt restarted postfix
> and it helped. Thanks Chris!

Debugging tools I used:

 'mailq': Reported ~1500 messages in queue.
 '/usr/sbin/postqueue -f' did not affect the messages that were in the
 queue slated for delivery: when everything is working, '-f' should
 add a '*' after each queue identifier in the mailq output, and it
 didn't.

 This indicated to me that something was wrong with postfix. So I
 restarted postfix (/etc/init.d/postfix restart), and ran postqueue -f
 again: and looked at the mailq output and saw that it indeed now had a
 star after everything, and mail was being delivered according to
 /var/log/maillog

 In the future, if you look at /var/log/maillog, and see only *incoming*
 mail, and no *outgoing* mail, this is a bad sign: search the logs for
 'qmgr', specifically, to see if anything is happening.

 I don't know why the qmgr does. Putting monitoring on the total queue
 size on the server would probably let us visually check this in the
 future: if it hits 1000, it might be a sign that mail isn't flowing.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta