[SAC] Apache Hung

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 25 10:50:50 EDT 2008

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Circa 6:45pm EST it was observed that OSGeo web services were not
>> responding.
>> I confirmed that all apache servers seemed to be hung in some fashion
>> though the machine was not busy or otherwise resource constrained.
>>
>> "netstat -a" showed quite a few connections, including 100 entries like:
>>
>> tcp 101 0 osgeo1.osgeo.org:http 157-146.svr.royaume.c:50732 CLOSE_WAIT
>>
>> I think this is Daniel's service checking machine.  I kept the netstat
>> output, and it can be found at:
>>

> Yes, that IP is my monitoring machine (which hits the server with wget
> once per minute). Do you want me to disable the monitoring to that
> server for now?

Daniel,

Well, I'd prefer to understand what is going on and fix it.  The
monitoring service is quite useful!

Does anyone have an idea why these connections would get stuck in
the CLOSE_WAIT state?

I did a netstat -a just now, and the only requests from this machine
are:

[warmerdam at osgeo1 ~]$ netstat -a  | grep roy
tcp        0      0 osgeo1.osgeo.org:http       157-146.svr.royaume.c:60092
TIME_WAIT
tcp        0      0 osgeo1.osgeo.org:http       157-146.svr.royaume.c:37789
TIME_WAIT