[SAC] Creating Mailing Lists

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun May 18 12:43:50 EDT 2008

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> SAC,
> how is a new mailing list created? Reading the Wiki only describes how do
> it not whether: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Mailing_Lists#New_Lists
>
> Landon was asking for a Java collaboration list and I wanted to send him
> this reply but it seemed reasonable to pass it by this list beforehand
> because I might be ignorant of the defined processes.

Arnulf,

It was the past decision of the board that new mailing lists can be created
at the descretion of our community guy if there seems to be a demand, and
there is no apparent harm.  As primary lists.osgeo.org administrator, I have
taken that as permission for me to create lists at will if they seem justified
to me.

As such, I have created the java-collab at lists.osgeo.org list for Landon and
the Java community.

Unfortunately, Landon had explicitly assigned the ticket he created for this
to "System Administration Committee" so no one noticed the created ticket.
This did not become apparent till I checked into our outstanding SAC tickets
yesterday and found the ticket.

I will update the SAC:Mailing_Lists topic to note that community members
should file a SAC ticket when requesting a new list, and what information
they should include.