[SAC] Increased infrastructure

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 2 12:40:07 EDT 2008

Following up from my earlier note on potential for using http://
osuosl.org for some infrastructure.  We'd have the option for using a
couple VMs or even a couple full colo'd servers.  To cover their
costs of cooling, electricity, etc. would cost around $1200/year for
two instances of servers, less for the VMs.

This opportunity interests me as we'd be able to get some 'smart
hands' on support from them, including great bandwidth and
opportunity to use a clustered db that they run.

Rather than sound like a crazy man and propose to move over some of
the more critical server, I'd much rather propose moving a couple
simple ones over.  For example, putting the conference and journal
website systems over there.  These are essentially things I've been
managing on my own, and giving additional access to conference
committee liaison would be easier.  It would give us a chance to test
it out at least.

Note, they are not really an ISP-for-hire, so there are no legal
contract or performance guarantees.  However, as a university
related, and well backed FOSS-focused support system, it has a great
reputation and after some review, the downtime has been minimal.

Any objections or further thoughts?

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director
Open Source Geospatial Foundation