[SAC] 2009 Budget / A New Server?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 9 10:19:45 EDT 2008

Folks,

In the preliminary board budgeting process we included a line item of $2500
to purchase a new server to be hosted at Telascience.   Markus can perhaps
add a bit, but I believe the idea is to provide a more muscular server that
we could move some of the stuff now hosted on xblade14-2.  From my perspective
I'm interested in us having a server with enough memory (and perhaps cores)
that we could run several VMs on it as we have been talking about trying to
move some services into VMs for greater portability, isolation and
managability.

Alternatively Tyler has also been suggesting we establish some services
at http://osuosl.org with the intent of reducing our hosting at Peer1.

   http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/sac/2008-October/001486.html

I would like SAC to consider this problem and within the next month or
so come back to the Finance committee with a moderately detailed budget
proposal for the coming year (2009).   This should indicate the resources
needed, and the rough plan for how they would be spent.