[SAC] Conference web sites

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 23 14:25:25 EDT 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Hi all,
> The FOSS4G 2009 event is almost ready to host a web site.  They'll file
> a ticket on it, but I thought it warranted some discussion here.
>
> For background, I helped install, test and support the Open Conference
> System (OCS) site this past year.  Which worked well on several fronts,
> except for many customisation requests that I ended up handling.
>
> The main site for 2009 will be some static HTML based system (likely
> with OCS used for handling presentations/papers).  Since part of the
> solution won't include using the online CMS parts of OCS, the organisers
> will need to be able to update these HTML pages.  What's the best
> approach for doing it and who can help set it up?
>
> The only thought that comes to mind is that it'd be nice to get
> conference stuff off of osgeo1 and let it run on its own somewhere else
> (maybe osgeo2 or perhaps on an osuosl.org vm) - so that permissions for
> shell access, etc. are not such a big deal for our main site and wiki
> security, etc.
>
> This will be a year-to-year issue, so I thought I'd mention it.  I don't
> have any great ideas for how to solve it otherwise.

Tyler,

If the requirements are not particularly heavy, I'd be inclined to
put the static conference web site on upload.osgeo.org, one of the
telascience blades.  This is also where the gdal and grass web sites
live. It's easy to provide accounts, and we can even set it up to checkout
the web site periodically from svn if desired.