[SAC] We are one (with the LDAP)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Mar 28 21:01:23 EDT 2009

Martin Spott wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:30:42AM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
>> I'm still quite confused by how all this is working now.  I had manually
>> created many accounts on upload.osgeo.org.
>
> That sounds a bit unfortunate as we've been recovering the numeric
> UID's from Telascience LDAP and you apparently have been introducing
> new ones.

Martin,

I'm speaking of the accounts created over the last 24 months or so,
not since the recent LDAP breakdown.

> To which schema have you been referring while creating
> accounts, which ones are new, how are we supposed to get them synced ?

I do not refer to any schema.  I never asked for them to be synced or
added to LDAP.  In fact, I had come to the conclusion that there was
really little need for LDAP on the telascience blades, and if I had
been more available when this recent crisis struck I would have advised
against use of LDAP for blade accounts.

However, given that lots of good work has been done, I would like to understand
how it works, and how to bring things that were functioning fine (ie. local
accounts, cron jobs) back into operation.