[SAC] Server quote/discussions

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Feb 1 20:52:17 EST 2010

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>>> I've reworked another quote, matching more closely the original quote,
>>> but with more RAM and disk.  Our approved budget is $22k, so I'll assume
>>> 2 machines at ~10k each.  More comments/concerns?  I can scale back the
>>> RAM and disk to line closer to the earlier quote if desired.
>> Tyler,
>>
>> As I recall the motion at the board level, 15K was approved for what would
>> likely be two servers.  Where does the 22K number come from?
>
> Oops took it from the agenda from the board meeting, not from the final
> motion.  In the end the quote I got went down to ~17k for both.

I didn't look into the quotes and the server requirements in detail, but
for servers, I personally tend look for the best price/performance ratio
(usually in the 3k$-5k$ range) and get multiple lower spec machines
instead of a single higher end machine. In addition to giving you more
processing power overall for your money, that gives you redundancy, and
reduces the chances of a single service taking the whole infrastructure
down.

Of course there are different schools of thought on that front, and I
don't want to enter a religious debate, but I thought I'd share my point
of view anyway.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/