[SAC] Server Planning

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 8 13:41:00 EST 2010

Martin Spott wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:16:40AM -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
>> I assume Trac/SVN would be one VM right?  Were you suggesting there
>> would be a mysql VM and that Drual, Mediawiki and Joomla would
>> all go in one VM?
>
> While you're at it, remember that I'm planning to migrate at least the
> 'regular' OSGeo Wiki over to a PostgreSQL database anyway. So please
> don't count that one in for MySQL considerations.
> Other Wikis are invited to join the same database instance  :-)
>
> Also note that, while the backend typically doesn't grow that large, an
> OpenLDAP service under load is known for doing a _lot_ of small disk
> I/O's and therefore might apply for the "small but fast" machine.
>
> Cheerio,
> 	Martin.

I was indeed suggesting a single VM dedicated to storing anything php
with apache and the db being it's own VM.

Maybe a dedicated Postgres VM would be in order then. I did notice that
Drupal's maintenance of postgres backend has been subpar compared to
MySQL so I doubt those should be moved but wiki instances sounds great.

To clear up confusion estimated disk space:
osl1 - 730 GB (Before formatting)
osl2 - 1.17 TB (Before formatting)
So only a difference of about 500 GB between machines, both will have
ample space.