[SAC] Server Planning

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Feb 18 16:18:30 EST 2010

On 02/17/2010 07:38 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Alex Mandel wrote:
>> Now that the servers are shipping, we can clearly focus on developing
>> our deployment plan.
>>
>> To help here is a slew of answers from OSL to questions I had posted on
>> the wiki page:
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Transition_Plan_2010
>
> Alex,
>
> I have done some updates to this page, and I've sent out a query
> to the GRASS and QGIS projects to see if they have need of project
> VMs or not.
>
> On this page in the priority list you have "DNS".  Why was that?
> Our DNS is all managed via pairnic, and I we don't run our own
> dns servers at all.

That's me not knowing how the DNS stuff is currently handled, thanks for
the info.

> I will note that snooping around on osgeo2 there seems to be lots
> of stuff that isn't documented in:
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC_Service_Status
>
> Honestly, I'm a little peeved that people seem to set things up on
> this server, and then never keep track of them.  Will they be surprised
> when they stop working?  Looking around I see evidence of qgis.org,
> moodle, ocs, wiktionary, fossgis wiki, community.osgeo.org,
> planet.osgeo.org, but none of those were documented in the SAC list
> of services hosted on the system.  Perhaps several of those aren't
> actually active, but it is hard for me to know, or find out who to
> contact about it.

Maybe we should have a sandbox VM that gets reincarnated (wiped of crud,
started from new) every once in a while for things like testing/piloting
new ideas. The nice part of experimental stuff is that we can turn those
VMs on and off whenever we feel like it - Though there needs to be a
good gatekeeper to prevent proliferation.

> I certainly hope we can be more careful about keeping the
> SAC_Service_Status page (really a catalog of SAC managed systems
> and the services that are on them) up to date as we transition
> services.
>
>> * Is it easy to move VMs between the machines? Via web interface?
>>
>> Yes with the cli, no web interface exists.
>
> There were quite a few questions about whether web interfaces exist
> to manage the VMs.  Frankly, I'm at least as comfortable doing this
> sort of relatively rare thing by commandline mechanisms!
>
>> What kind of an ETA do you have for getting this deployed? I'm pretty
>> swamped for the next month or so but I should be able to get this setup.
>> I'm also waiting for the GA relase of Ganeti 2.1 which should be fairly
>> soon.
>
> Ouch - this sounds like hurry up and wait.

I'm going to see if they can bring 1 server online sooner rather than
later so we can get started and they play shuffle if they need to update
some things.