[SAC] Server quote/discussions

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jan 26 18:11:11 EST 2010

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Martin Spott wrote:
>> I'm not too familiar with Dell's R* offers, but from my understanding
>> this is going to be a server with one CPU and one power supply (to my
>> experience a second PS is usually listed separately). Does this meet
>> your intentions ?
>
> Thanks for the comments  Martin - did you see the attached PDF? There is
> more info about processor etc in there.  Not sure if I chose a backup
> power supply, but meant to.
>
> This quote was for a 2x E7420 Xeon, four cores - if that makes sense :)
>  I've been lost in CPU world since they stopped calling them Pentium ;-) lol

Looking at the previous quotes, the base model was the R700 series and
not the R900 series. Inspecting even closer the processors on the
previous quotes look much better on paper, more features, lower power
consumption, higher freq and less money. That's the only thing I noticed
that seemed kinda strange.

About the AMD vs Intel, the only things I can find are that Opterons
consume much less power (up to 40% less) and Xeons perform around 10%
better for equal clock speeds. I'll poke around for more info.

You did go right on the SAS drives - the key I think is SCSI like
performance without the cost, aka the drives are 10K rpm.