[SAC] Server quote/discussions

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jan 26 18:25:47 EST 2010

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Alex Mandel wrote:
>> You did go right on the SAS drives - the key I think is SCSI like
>> performance without the cost, aka the drives are 10K rpm.
>
> From a laymans perspective who uses cheap big SATA drives, it seems
> weird to request such small SAS drives (<200GB).

Ah, yes but that's because the goal was fast service of small amounts of
data. The impression I get from the others is that they aren't looking
to build a storage device, they want quick and reliable service.
We did have a previous quote with 300GB drives. Also note I think the
plan is for RAID 5 or 6 so the drives would be combined via
stripes/mirrors to be a very fast 500GB ish drive(rough estimate) where
any 1-2 drives could die and the data would still be safe.

If we also need space to house TB of data that should be a separate
server spec'd for storage space.