[SAC] "projects.osgeo" kernel updates policy?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 26 14:39:55 EDT 2010

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi SAC;
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:07:48PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
>>
>>> The currently uninstalled (!) security updates contain a kernel update, what
>>> is our kernel update policy? It requires a reboot.
>> Good point: I don't have a clue if the kernel image in the guest
>> systems on this virtualization technique is being used in any form or
>> if updating the kernel from the stock distribution could even break
>> anything.
>> Therefore I'd tend to assume that those who are familiar with this
>> virtualization are going to take care about the kernel updates  ;-)
>>

> who is actually "familiar with this virtualization"?
>
> I would like to know the do's and don'ts on the projects machine.

Markus,

The admins at OSU OSL (ie. Lance) setup the VMs and would be able to
answer questions on whether there are any special issues with applying
kernel patches.  However, off hand, I have no reason to believe there
is anything special and I think we would be ok to apply normal debian
kernel fixes.