[SAC] [Fwd: [support.osuosl.org #11303] OSGeos New Servers]

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Mar 22 19:36:11 EDT 2010

SAC,

I talked with Lance(OSL) this afternoon. It sounds like a single account
with multiple ssh keys is the best/easiest way to go.

That means I need ssh public keys from:
Frank
Howard
Martin
Tyler
Shawn
Markus
Wolf

You can send me armored ascii file of your public key or your public key
id if you've uploaded to a public keyserver. Assuming those are the
people who we want to be able to create/manage virtual machines.

This same user can also be used as a non LDAP way to access the virtual
machines in case LDAP is having issues. We will be able to add/remove
systems administrators ourselves this way simply by managing the keys on
the osl end and sync all of our servers at osl to the main account.

For the initial tests I was going to ask for them to create Wiki and
Backup which are both currently functions of osgeo2. What we need to
decide today(~next 16h) is on how much ram and disk space to give to
each and if we want to have drbd turned on for them.

Drbd is an uptime/failover cloning of a virtual machine, it requires
double the hard drive space as the original virtual machine but allows
for applying security updates or fail over service without downtime. The
only vm I can think of that we need this on for sure is Secure(LDAP). I
think it would be a waste of space on Backup since that vm is already on
a RAID6 is a copy of data from all the other vms and isn't in constant
use (it's only in use while things are being backed up, and it's config
ie Bacula etc could be implemented on another machine rather quickly).

There is potential in the near future to enable/disable this feature for
a given vm. So do we want to try it on Wiki?