[SAC] New OSGeo Virtual Machine Creation

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Wed May 12 05:18:06 EDT 2010

Alex,
in an earlier mail you said: "Please fill out an entry in the table with
the hard drive requirements for such a VM."

The GRASS and Mapbender projects did that. We also created a ticket for
SAC with the request for a dedicated machine [1] and I just added a
comment to better explain what this instance is supposed to be used for.
It is intended to become part of the stable publicly visible OSGeo web
infrastructure and uses the LDAP authentication.

After your first mail - but not directly referring to either Markus' or
my request you said: "The general idea had been that a few heavily
impacted projects would get their own and everyone else would be grouped
into generic Project VMs."

Can you explain what criteria qualify a project to "get their own" or
what "grouped into generic Project VMs" exactly means? We do not mind to
share any resources as long as they are responsive and not impacted by
outages as this will not do for publicly visible services. As can be
seen in the table the needed resources are pretty low key but to me this
does not translate into low priority.

Thanks,
Arnulf.

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/568