[SAC] Using OSGeo LDAP for custom web apps

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 15:43:38 EST 2010

Hi,

for QGIS project we are building a new Plugin Repository - a place
where people can share their plugins. The app (in django) will be
hosted in QGIS virtual machine on OSGeo server.

I have only basic basic understanding of LDAP and its usage within
OSGeo, so my questions are:
1. would it be possible to get the access to the LDAP server for doing
user authentication? (I.e. the app sends user/pass, the servers
answers yes/no.) This would help us a lot since we could avoid the
necessity to have another pair of username/password for each author of
a plugin.
2. would it be possible to find out also user's real name and mail address?

In future we would also like to set up a central repository for map
symbols - featuring various import/export filters, so the symbols
could be uploaded/downloaded in virtually any format. Such an
application would make good use of osgeo userids too.

Regards
Martin