[SAC] Using OSGeo LDAP for custom web apps

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 29 15:52:49 EST 2010

Martin Dobias wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for QGIS project we are building a new Plugin Repository - a place
> where people can share their plugins. The app (in django) will be
> hosted in QGIS virtual machine on OSGeo server.
>
> I have only basic basic understanding of LDAP and its usage within
> OSGeo, so my questions are:
> 1. would it be possible to get the access to the LDAP server for doing
> user authentication? (I.e. the app sends user/pass, the servers
> answers yes/no.) This would help us a lot since we could avoid the
> necessity to have another pair of username/password for each author of
> a plugin.

Martin,

Yes, it is not hard for us to let you authenticate against the
OSGeo LDAP server (at ldap.osgeo.org).  I imagine the QGIS VM
is already allowed access to the LDAP server since it is used
for ssh access.

I could likely help you enable this if/when you are ready.

> 2. would it be possible to find out also user's real name and mail address?

This is a bit more involved as your scripts would need more
privileged access than is normally needed just for authentication.
It is technically possible, though I'd like to know if other
SAC folks have any administrative or security concerns before
we proceeded with this.