[SAC] Enable cron log on ProjectsVM

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Tue Oct 5 10:59:22 EDT 2010

On Oct 5, 2010, at 10:56 AM, ext Jeff McKenna wrote:

> I'd like to enable a cron log on the ProjectsVM (to debug present and
> future problems for the mapserver.org hosted site).  My user jmckenna
> however does not seem to have the privilege to do so:
>
> ********
> Sorry, user jmckenna is not allowed to execute '/usr/bin/nano
> /etc/rsyslog.conf' as root on projects.osgeo.osuosl.org
> ********

Er, I don't know what that file is, but yeah, don't do that :)

> What is recommended by SAC for my situation?

1. If it's something you'd like to run for 'yourself', then you
   can type 'crontab -e' and enter a cronjob there.
2. If it's something that you'd like to run for a project, you
   should be able to 'sudo -u mapserver crontab -e' so that you
   can edit MapServer's crontab directly, and use that to prevent
   some issues with permissions and the like.

-- Chris