[SAC] Spam in Wiki

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 19 12:42:35 EDT 2011

While most type of that spam does not really hurt too much it does make
things look badly maintained. Should we step up the barrier to editing
by adding email authentication during account creation? Or will this
prevent the newbie from contributing?

Weird, I thought it was enabled, only to find that my definition of "authentication required" differed from mediawiki's :)

This is enabled, but not what we needed:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEmailAuthentication

This looks like what we need...
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Email_authentication_before_editing

I'm tempted to just turn it on but wonder how it will handle those who may be regular editors and not confirmed.
Want to try it?

Tyler