[SAC] LDAP for OpenID?

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Mon Aug 8 07:24:11 EDT 2011

On Aug 7, 2011, at 2:08 AM, ext Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> I vaguely recall some question about serving up an OpenID server a while back, but I'm just coming back to the idea when thinking about how to use OSGeo IDs in some other apps.  Anyone know how hard/easy it would be to stand up an openid server based on our LDAP so, for example, I could use openid auth in Drupal (instead of the non-supported LDAP auth module I'm stuck with so far).  Maybe it's a way to help transition wiki to ldap as well, I dunno.. just thinking out loud.

OpenID Server software all sucks terribly.

The one it was on was on one of the telascience servers that died,
but at the time I set it up, I had a *ton* of trouble even getting
it working, and it took some hacking to get it there.

I have tried to set up openid again since, and found that it's just as
terrible.

I don't have any specific advice on this front, but I think making
OpenID a core part of our login process would probably be painful to
our users -- though measuring that against the pain of our administrators
is a toss up at times :)

-- Chris